Under limited supervision, dispatch all buses to ensure on-time performance of service within an assigned geographical area.
- Oversee all routing and scheduling of buses; dispatch buses and provide timely information to drivers on route.
- Counsel & coach drivers and monitors on front line disciplinary & service issues.
- Take all scheduling and driver complaints, report to Operations Supervisor/Contract Manager or resolve problems directly with the customer.
- Handle heavy phone and radio traffic.
- Serve as primary communication liaison with major contracted customer.
- May handle charter reservations, billing, or driver payroll. May monitor licensing and participate in hiring drivers.
- Provide solutions to drop-off and pick-up problems; resolve issues as needed.
- May handle backup driver duties or perform miscellaneous clerical duties while buses are in route.
- Complete special projects as assigned.
- Assist drivers with day-to-day operations and ensure compliance with operating contract, state and local ordinances, and company policies and procedures.
Minimum Education & Certifications Required
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Possess or have the ability to obtain CDL Operator’s license with required endorsements & other state or local permits as required.
Experience & Skills Required
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in the transportation industry.
- Managerial experience preferred.
- CDL may be required.
- Good verbal communication and customer service skills.
- The ability to work early morning hours.
- Basic knowledge of radio dispatch equipment.
- Ability to work under time constraints and deadlines.
- Must maintain a professional and respectful attitude toward fellow employees and customers.
- Dress in a professional and appropriate manner for a business environment.
- Perform all job functions in the safest manner adhering to OSHA guidelines & other applicable Federal& State laws.
- Execute all job duties while following company policy and procedure.
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office.
- Ability to use or learn to use internet, additional programs as required and office equipment, including fax and phones or other electronic devices.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
- Ability to successfully complete dexterity test and DOT physical and comply with drug free workplace policy.
- School bus yard /Office/On-the-road. Some outdoor work.
- Pushing/Pulling: Opening service door, emergency door, bus hood, steering, windows, applying service & parking brake, adjusting mirrors & wheelchairs, student evacuations up to 120 lbs and for up to 40 feet.
- Lifting: Bus hood, trash box, challenged passenger into their seats, wheel chocks, tire chains, emergency equipment. Up to 40 lbs.
- Walking: Crossing lot, up and down bus aisle, around exterior of bus.
- Sitting: Up to 2-3 hours.
- Climbing: Steps in and out of bus, cleaning windshield, under hood inspection.
- Reaching: Under hood inspection, cleaning windows, applying tie-downs, safety vests, car seats, adjust mirrors, opening emergency door from ground, checking roof hatch, applying service brake, clutch and accelerator.
- Gripping: Doors, knobs, switches, handles, etc.
- Hearing: Detecting problems with passengers on bus, emergency vehicles, unusual engine noises.
- Bending/Stooping/Squatting: Pre-trip inspection, applying tie-downs, sweeping, checking for sleeping children multiple times per route per day.
- Communicating: Via the English language with passengers, parents, school officials, dispatch, monitor if applicable.
- Dropping: From emergency door to ground.