Technician in Charge
Manages day-to-day operations of the maintenance shop. Maintains, repairs, and overhauls school buses and other company vehicles. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of complicated tasks. Directs the work of others. Trains and motivates maintenance staff. Works without direct supervision with latitude for independent judgment.
- Supervises day-to-day shop staff.
- Schedules and administers fleet maintenance, assists in troubleshooting problems with equipment. Reviews repair orders.
- Delegates responsibilities as appropriate and monitors performance.
- Ensures compliance on a day-to-day basis with State, Federal and Company requirements.
- May order fuel for all vehicles, order parts, and subcontract repair work.
- May arrange services for building and ground keeping.
- Completes special projects as assigned. Required to perform hands-on work activities.
- Communicates availability of vehicles for service with dispatch and Contract Manager.
- Handles disciplinary concerns and employee development with shop personnel.
- Repairs and maintains diesel engines and school bus equipment.
Minimum Education & Certifications Required
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Technical training preferred.
Experience & Skills Required
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in the transportation industry, including repairing and maintaining diesel engines and school bus equipment.
- 3+ years of related mechanical experience or trade school with endorsements such as Preventative Maintenance or Brake Certifications.
- 3+ years of hands-on mechanical managerial experience preferred.
- Good written & verbal communication skills.
- The ability to work early morning hours.
- Must maintain a professional and respectful attitude toward fellow employees and customers.
- Dress in a professional and appropriate manner for a business environment.
- Perform all job functions in the safest manner adhering to OSHA guidelines & other applicable Federal& State laws.
- Execute all job duties while following company policy and procedure.
- Must possess or be able to acquire CDL Operator’s license (Class B) with P endorsement within 60 days of hire.
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office, Manager +
- Ability to use or learn to use internet, additional programs as required and office equipment, including fax and phones or other electronic devices.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
- Ability to successfully complete dexterity test and DOT physical and comply with drug free workplace policy.
- Maintenance shop/garage/school bus yard /Office/On-the-road. Some outdoor work.
- Must be able to work in a crouched position or on back lying on mechanic’s dolly beneath motor vehicle equipment.
- Subjected to dust, dirt, and greasy conditions.
- Some local travel, typically within 50 miles from base.
- Pushing/Pulling: Opening service door, emergency door, bus hood, steering, windows, applying service & parking brake, adjusting mirrors & wheelchairs, student evacuations up to 120 lbs and for up to 40 feet.
- Lifting: Bus hood, trash box, challenged passenger into their seats, wheel chocks, tire chains, emergency equipment. Up to 40 lbs.
- Walking: Crossing lot, up and down bus aisle, around exterior of bus.
- Sitting: Up to 2-3 hours.
- Climbing: Steps in and out of bus, cleaning windshield, under hood inspection.
- Reaching: Under hood inspection, cleaning windows, applying tie-downs, safety vests, car seats, adjust mirrors, opening emergency door from ground, checking roof hatch, applying service brake, clutch and accelerator.
- Gripping: Doors, knobs, switches, handles, hand tools, etc.
- Hearing: Detecting problems with passengers on bus, emergency vehicles, unusual engine noises.
- Bending/Stooping/Squatting: Pre-trip inspection, applying tie-downs, sweeping, checking for sleeping children multiple times per route per day.
- Seeing: Driving, reading street signs, route sheets.
- Communicating: Via the English language with passengers, parents, school officials, dispatch, monitor if applicable.
- Dropping: From emergency door to ground.