Assist the driver in the safe operation of the route and manage students as defined/identified by school.
- Ability to learn and follow a route sheet or electronic routing device.
- Is responsible for student management and communicates behavior problems with the driver.
- Assists in pre-trip and post-trip inspections of the bus, including child checks, CSRS and wheelchair lifts.
- Assists students in the loading and unloading process including wheelchair lift.
- Cooperates and communicates with school personnel, parents and students.
- Attend all safety and training meetings.
- Conducts emergency evacuation from the bus, including exiting from the emergency door.
- Cleans the insides of the bus including sweeping, dusting and cleaning windows.
- Other specialized functions as required by contract.
Minimum Education & Certifications Required
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
Experience & Skills Required
- Good verbal communication skills.
- The ability to work early morning hours.
- Must maintain a professional and respectful attitude toward fellow employees and customers.
- Dress in a professional and appropriate manner for a business environment.
- Perform all job functions in the safest manner adhering to OSHA guidelines & other applicable Federal& State laws.
- Execute all job duties while following company policy and procedure.
- Ability to use or learn to use internet, additional programs as required and office equipment, including fax and phones or other electronic devices.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
- Ability to successfully complete dexterity test and DOT physical and comply with drug free workplace policy.
- Pushing/Pulling: Opening service door, emergency door, bus hood, steering, windows, applying service & parking brake, adjusting mirrors & wheelchairs, student evacuations up to 120 lbs and for up to 40 feet.
- Lifting: Bus hood, trash box, challenged passenger into their seats, wheel chocks, tire chains, emergency equipment. Up to 40 lbs.
- Walking: Crossing lot, up and down bus aisle, around exterior of bus.
- Sitting: Up to 2-3 hours.
- Climbing: Steps in and out of bus, cleaning windshield, under hood inspection.
- Reaching: Under hood inspection, cleaning windows, applying tie-downs, safety vests, car seats, adjust mirrors, opening emergency door from ground, checking roof hatch, applying service brake, clutch and accelerator.
- Gripping: Doors, knobs, switches, handles, hand tools, etc.
- Hearing: Detecting problems with passengers on bus, emergency vehicles, unusual engine noises.
- Bending/Stooping/Squatting: Pre-trip inspection, applying tie-downs, sweeping, checking for sleeping children multiple times per route per day.
- Seeing: Driving, reading street signs, route sheets.
- Communicating: Via the English language with passengers, parents, school officials, dispatch, monitor if applicable.
- Dropping: From emergency door to ground.
Available Position Locations